RE: Win32 version of XFree86

> Sounds great! I know that Rich Thomson (CC'ed on this email) has been
> looking into this and the work you have done will be a great start to
> this project for both of us. We are planning on doing the server that
> lives on top of DirectX. Rich knows lots about X11 server
> development, but little about DirectX (although he has been reading
> heavily ;-). I know little about X11 server development (other than
> writing chipset drivers in XFree86 which I have done), but lots about
> DirectX. Sounds like you have the stuff to make the build process
> work nicely!

Well then you could just write a devices driver and some code which uses
this driver.  The code goes into Xserver/hw/xfree86/win32 and that would BE
IT!!!.

There is really no need for you guys to restart the stuff from scratch.  I
had works on the code for several months spending several hours a day and if
you trust it is in quite good shap for Cygwin/Win32 platform.

> > In addition to Xfree86 developers list, I would suggest could you
> > please join us at cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com.
>
> Sure. How do I join this mailing list??
>
> > The X11R6.3, X11R6.4 is available from my webpages at
> > http;//siddiqi.webjump.com.
> > The Xfree86 patches against Xfree86 3.3.x as well as binaries with
> > non-functional server are available at
> > ftp;//sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree
>
> Great, I will go download them now.

> > >It looks like you have done a lot of
> > > work already to get XFree86 to build for Win32. Have you done work
> > > for X11R6.4 standard code, or just the XFree86 code base?
> >
> > All, x11r6.3, x11r6.4 and xfree86 3.3.4 (except the devices
> > drivers code that where i need all the help anyone could offer)
>
> Cool! So you have patched sources for raw X11R6.4? I know that is
> what Rich was starting to work on, although we want to build it all
> with Microsoft Visual C++ and Borland C++ instead of Gygwin. Have you
> done any work to get these compilers to work at all?

If you intend to spend a year re-writing code and assembly code (total 30
MB) in Xserver and its subdirectories, you are welcome to try MSVC or
Borland.    The Win32 code in X11R6.x source tree, for libs only, is for
MSVC 4.0 and it cannot be compiled even with MSVC 5.0 or 6.0.  You would be
undertaking a mega project which you may not be able to finish.  MASMS
cannot deal with assembly code for various graphics cards in
Xserver/hw/xfree86 and its subdirectories.  It will return i386 syntex error
for literally every line of the assembly code.  I gave it a shot and i would
prefer to keep my hands off from MSVC.  I am not a programmer who could
write 10s of MB of assembly code in Micro$oft
impossed language.

Regards
Suhaib