RE: Problem...

> Dear Suhaib,
>
> I'm lucky to be one of the first several people
> who downloaded your most recent update. However,
> I have a very basic problem on this great achievement:
> how to start this xserver ? It seems that startx
> script won't work and system will always report:
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> Then I tried to run xggi directly, but there is one
> dll missing: libgg-0-0-6.dll.

This version although has XGGI.exe in the binary archive, but
XGGI.exe is certainly non-functional, until John Fortin
completes his DirectX support.

The startx does work.  On the bash prompt type sh startx,
but there is no gaurantee that X-server will come-up.
The snapshot of the sources and binaries are meant for developers
and users who wish to help fix the bugs. The source code compiles
and produces the executables for all the XFree86 supported drivers,
but most (almost all of them) usually crash with tty errors.
I am now at the point where the XFree86 source code can be
compiled under Cygwin, and I am sure in near future I will
fix the remaining bugs, which cause crashes.  At the moment
patched source code contains some dirty hacks so it, at least, compiles,
which in my opinion will help to trace the problems and fix them.

If you wish to try XGGI, you will need at least GGI DLLs.  The source code
of GGI for Cygwin is also at the Sourceware server, but it
has no DirectX and Glide support.  I am waiting
for John Fortin's work on DirectX, after that we will release the
complete source code of GGI, and precompiled DDLs.

You can also test X-server binaries ( mostly likely they will
crash on you) by cd' ing to /usr/X11R6/bin and typing

./XF86_SVGA or whatever other driver you wish to test.
I usually test the X-server binaries by starting a commerical
X-server (e.g Exceed) at Display 127.0.0.1:0.0 then
attempt to start another X-server at the Display :1 and open
the client at Display :1, e.g ./xterm -display 127.0.0.1:1

Regards

Suhaib

PS:  Please direct the questions, comments and suggestions regarding
Cygwin-xfree to cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com mailing list.