RE: default terminal (was: Re: "can't create master tty" errors)

> Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:20:43 +0200
> From: corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: default terminal (was: Re: "can't create master tty" errors)
>
> On May 31 20:42, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:34:37PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>>On 31 May 2010 22:29, Christopher Faylor:
>>>
>>>Seems the author has quietly retracted his post, including our
>>>comments. How classy.
>>
>> Classy, indeed. I mean to go back and see if there was a response to my
>> response. I guess that was it.

You might think that this selective memory only applies to informal
forum and blogs but it comes up everywhere. This is probably no
surprise, but I will just mention more examples. You see intellectualized
variants in statistics even in hard sciences but consider pumps for
various stocks that state things like, " if you'd just picked these internet
stocks at random in 1999 you could have been rich today." Of course, the
ones that survived went up and the ones that went under are not included in
today's sampes of things you could have picked.

In these cases, usually the only thing on the line is a small wager or
some bragging rights. In other cases however, the glaringly wrong
prediction can be a source of thought provoking musings- how could
anyone think that at the time is not just a rhetorical expression
of disgust director toward the OP, but a real request for information of
some use understanding situations today.

You also see examples where prior editorial decisions look stupid-
sometimes the premiere journal Nature publishes a list of
paradigm breaking papers that were badly treated by original
editors or reviewers. Things taken as obvious today weren't
obvious before the paradigm was changed (duh).

> Any chance to find a copy of the blog via the google memory? What was
> the name of the blog and where was it?

This is like trying to get stock charts of enron or find websites from failed
biotech or internet companies to see what promises they made at the time.
Most fields try to bury corpses without dissection cynically-you could guess that this is
for the sake of continued profit from repeated mistakes. Failure analysis,
understanding the false prophet, you could argue is a waste of time compared to
just studyng successes but both are important for perspective and statistical baselines.
I don't think I personally would spend a lot of time going through these or
every quack cancer cure someone puts on a free hosting site but sometimes
they are quite helpful especially if you can sort through them with automated
tools, maybe looking for keywords unique to scams.

Goog does cache stuff but it seems to be really hit or miss. For this issue maybe not a
big deal but in general I'd like to find a way to archive various things that seemed
like a good idea at the time but didn't quite work out.

> Corinna

note new address
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.