Top post vs. bottom post (was: Re: [CFT] libtool on nix->cygwin cross, with wine)

Ben Kamen wrote:

Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM, rhubbell <Rhubbell@ihubbell.com> wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:15:33 -0500
Greg Chicares wrote:
By the way, this list discourages full quoting:
  http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
Ok, this is one neurotic list.

A lot of Linux mailing lists have that policy. Especially if it is high volume or has a large subscriber base. The idea is that someone can read a single email and understand it without having to bounce all over the place.

What still always makes me laugh is the people who are so emphatic about top vs. bottom posting.

(someone even had a clever .sig showing the flow of top posting and how "backwards" it is)

But honestly, we humans have remarkable brains that let us put back together the conversation in either order.
Is it really *that* hard? Maybe for some.

I just think as you do. For me top posting has ever been THE way to reply to e-mails. I always used it at work and at home (unless it was more useful to do an inline reply).

I just find it more natural than bottom posting, for the reason that if I'm following a thread post by post, I don't want to re-read every time all the things that have been said, instead I only care about the last thing said.

Imho, it's just a matter of personal preference AND of the tools that one uses (people often forget that if you use a hammer you'll tend to thing everything as a nail (even if it's not)).

I don't like zealotry and I recognize the importance of being pragmatic (even if I'm not always able to be pragmatic and sometimes I'm a zealot).

I top posted in one of the Cygwin lists, I have been said that it was wrong there, I explained my reasons and told that I didn't want to scroll till the end of the e-mail each time and was answered that other e-mail clients allowed that easily. I searched and installed an addon for Thunderbird (QuoteCollapse) that helped me in surviving here. Full stop.

To summarize: I don't like bottom posting, I prefer top posting. But I'm not here to change the world, just to follow a bunch of lists that talks about a product that I use. I'm a human: I adapt myself to new situations and I understand that other people think in a different way than me.

Last point: I'm not interested in convincing anybody that my thinking is better than his/her. I'm not interested in helping anyone understand that two different thinkings/point of views can cohexist without harm.

Ciao,
	Danilo

--
Danilo Turina
Alcatel-Lucent

7 anni 10 mesi 15 giorni 23 ore 33 minuti 30 secondi