Re: I hate microsoft.

Dave Korn wrote:
... i.e. it fulfills all the criteria for the standard definition of spyware.

Would it really be too much to ask for them to just not outright LIE about it?

Well, at least they're telling the truth about one thing now: Microsoft has admitted that WGA is known to disable some legitimate copies of Windows:

The number of people being genuinely taken advantage of is apparently in the millions.

I think I'm going to put in a complaint to the trading standards, or perhaps
advertising standards authority.

Maybe you could join the lawsuit already in progress:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/275780_msftsuit29.html

It might require you to be a resident of California, though.

More info on WGA, the biggest meadow wafer to come out of the IP enforcement world since the DMCA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage