I hate microsoft.

" [ ... ]  The installation of this service pack might take up to several
hours.   [ ...] "

  Bah.  And I'm only trying to fix the damage the last update did to my
installation of (the already legendarily-buggy) VS2005.

  And in order to get to this obscenity, I had to already accept the following
insult to my intelligence:

"To use microsoft update, you must first install the latest version of some
Windows components.  This will allow your computer to work with these new
features on the site:

  More updates: [ ...  snip ... ]

  Faster updates:  The latest Windows Installer (MSI) improves the way updates
are installed [ ...  snip ... ]

  Easier navigation: [ ...  snip ... ] "

  Very nice of them to offer me easier navigation and faster updates, but what
does it *actually* want to install?  (Hint: it's not 'the latest Windows
Installer').

"Details
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) [ ...  snip ... ]"

  Now, as far as I can see, the WGA validation tool is not the MSI, that gives
faster updates, nor yet is is the new improved Windows Update active-X that
gives faster navigation, and the only reason I get more updates is because
they artificially block off updates from access if I don't install it.  So,
that would be

- a piece of software, that is
- falsely described to trick me into installing it, and which
- collects data from my machine and phones home with it

... i.e. it fulfills all the criteria for the standard definition of spyware.

  Would it really be too much to ask for them to just not outright LIE about
it?

  I think I'm going to put in a complaint to the trading standards, or perhaps
advertising standards authority.  Bet they won't touch it with a ten-foot
pole, though.

    cheers,
      DaveK