Re: religious wars

On 6/11/07, Dave Korn wrote:
<--snip-->
  It does lead me to wonder, though, if there isn't a market for a cross
between CVS and GNU indent that transforms the code on check-out and check-in,
so that anyone who checks out a sandbox gets the files formatted in their own
favourite style, and can write code however they most prefer, and everyone
else sees it in /their/ own favourite style, and nobody even has to know or
care what the actual underlying format looks like at all.

I once collaborated on a small project where I used vim and my cohorts used emacs (another religious war), and we had indentation nightmares, especially with CVS. My "solution" was a 5am daily cron job that automagically checked out a copy of the latest source tree, auto-indented it, and committed it.

The result?

"The auto-indenter is about to start... Commit NOW!"

and...

"My code was hit by the auto-dementor."

Cheers,
Jason