Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 09:12:27AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 16 18:38, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I think linux probably has some kind of /proc file option setting to
>>understand drive letters.  Probably cygwin should emulate that.
>
>As far as I know there's no such option.  It seems to me this is really
>called for and somebody should implement it.  Along these lines there
>should be another /proc option which finally allows Linux users to use
>the beloved backslashes as path separators.  I can't understand why
>Linus deliberately changed the path separator from backslash to slash,
>thus undermining an industry standard.  Intolerable.

<rant on>
I think it's probably just the standard Free Software "My way is better"
mentality.  The one thing that really bugs me about OSS is the insistence
on tinkering with tried-and-true ways of doing things.

For instance, the Gnome interface is just different enough from the standard
Windows interface to drive any user who has to flip back and forth between
the two up the wall.

Another real annoyance is the use of '-' and '--' for option specifiers.  Windows
uses just a single '/', just like VMS and TOPS-10.  Both OS's were around long
before UNiX/LinUX but that didn't stop the developers from inventing their own
way of doing things.

Sometimes I think about writing my own OS which corrects these inequities but
I really just don't have the time...
</rant off>

cgf