Re: Cygintl-3.dll was not found

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:34:02PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:38:47PM -0700, infoterror wrote:
Under windows, programs are installed by default in "C:\Program Files."
cygwin's preferred "c:\cygwin" is foolish and makes an unnecessary mess
of installations.
I disagree.  Not all packages install in "c:\Program Files" and putting
Cygwin's root directory there would mean extra typing, potential
"filename with spaces" problems, and, most importantly, it would mean 10
extra characters eaten from the MAX_PATH limit.  Also, as is pointed out
later in this thread, there is a whole filesystem underneath the
c:\cygwin directory.  Right or wrong, I've always considered Cygwin to
be sort of a parallel to the Windows directory.

You can, of course, choose your own location, however.  I don't see why
this should be a big issue for anyone who installs Cygwin.  If they know
about "c:\Program Files" and think that's the place that cygwin should
go, they are welcome to put things there.

What kind of problems do you think are being caused by installing to
"c:\cygwin" and/or what kind of problems would be solved by installing
to "c:\Program Files\cygwin"?
Whew. Thanks for wording that better than what I was managing. :-)

Thanks.

So what kind of response would you expect to my mail?  More "thin
intelligence", "foolish" responses?

Are you asking if I thought your response was reasonable and non-inflammatory (yes; it helped /me/ step back and start thinking again :-)), or if I think infoterror is a troll? Or do I just not understand the question?

...And for better or worse, Cygwin isn't breaking any rules Microsoft themselves haven't broken.

Yeah there is that and I resisted the urge to say something about foolish consistencies, too.

Right, I was also busy doing that, only all I was managing to write was troll food. Fortunately I realized that, and gave up.

(Oh, look, *there's* one of the signatures that was still at 0 uses :-))

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!