RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND

On 16 June 2006 16:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.
>>> The only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.
>>
>> Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
>> "here's the sources".
>
> Still the continued use of the '$' in Microsoft's name has gotten sort
> of old.  Is it supposed to be funny?  It can't possibly be funny since
> it's been used 8,397,423,921 times in usenet and in mailing lists.
>
> Is it supposed to be a condemnation of the fact that a corporation is in
> it for the money?  Well, duh.
>
> Is it supposed to be a political commentary about the evilness of
> Microsoft?  Sorry, but I don't see the "$" as a mark of the devil.

  I don't know and I don't care - as far as I'm concerned, free beer[*] is a
Good Thing!

> I guess it's part of our usenet culture now but, like so many repetitive
> trends on the CygWin board, I'm sick of it.  It seems to me, that the
> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
> umbrella stands?  I am a long time CygWin user and I think that, if
> CygWin is to truly evolve, it should move beyond Microsoft platforms and
> possibly even consider running directly on LinUX rather than emulating
> it.
>
> Think about it.  Then we could run rpm natively and use real inodes.  It
> wouldn't loop endlessly when installing Windows Service Packs because there
> would be *no* windows service packs to install!  It would be straight
> LinUX all of the way!
>
> I don't have time to implement this myself because I have to pee really
> bad right now but I think this deserves quite a bit of discussion.

  Hey!  I really need to pee too, and I've been waiting ages, and nobody's
done anything about it yet!  When do you think you will have this pee patch
ready?  I can't believe I've been waiting all this time for a piss and cygwin
still hasn't sorted it out yet!  Don't you want to make cygwin even more
useful for your customers?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - Obviously this excludes budweiser et al. (see archives for full details)