Re: Serious ;-): How does Windows pass non-ascii filename toexecutable?

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This question doesn't really describe a Cygwin topic (thus the use of
> cygwin-talk), but it's probably as relevant for Cygwin as for regular
> native Windows executables. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ok, what I want to know is, how does Windows pass non-ascii filenames to
> executables?

Microsoft uses jumping hippos to cram wide characters into narrow
applications.  This is all described quite clearly in this MSDN article:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vccelng/htm/basic_20.asp>.  Don't
worry if you don't see the hippos right away -- Microsoft is very adept at
hiding them.  You have to use your side vision -- try staring at the
top-right corner of the screen for a while, and you'll see them running
between the lines.

> [snip]
> What is that way? I am vaguely familiar with a facility in Windows to
> enter an executable at a different entry point then main()... as I
> recall (eg. for XEmacs), to make the app non-console. Is this how it is
> done? Any pointers to documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Making the app non-console has nothing to do with this.  Even with WinMain
(which is probably what you were thinking about), you have to use the
hippos (i.e., the initial "w") to make it Unicode.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu