Re: RFU: unison-2.9.1, unison-2.9.20, unison-2.10.2

Andrew Schulman wrote:

[I recall reading these threads when the issue were first brought up.
However, at that point the notion of having a separate package for each
version of the program sounded so far fetched...]

> It turns out
> that by the design of Unison, if you are running, for example, version 2.10.2
> and attempt to synchronize with a server running version 2.9.20, Unison will
> issue an error message about incompatible versions and quit.

Wow... that's just so... wow.

How could any rational software developer think that such a policy makes
a lick of sense?

> This design
> choice was apparently made to safeguard against possible changes in both the
> network protocol and archive formats between versions of Unison.

Could someone airdrop a clue here?  Shouldn't it be a trivial
realization that the wire protocol, archive format, and program version
could be different things?

Brian