Re: cygwin and mingw

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:40:07AM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> 1.   I've downloaded the source of cdrtools and they compiled under
> cygwin very nicely :)    Additionally, the distribution contains the
> build instructions for mingw.  The readme for building in mingw states:
>
> -   Download (http://www.mingw.org) and install the following Mingw32
> packages:
>      MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe
>      MSYS-1.0.10.exe
> -   Set PATH environment variable using command:
>      set path=c:\msys\1.0\bin;c:\mingw\bin;%path%
> -   enter 'make' command in top level directory of the unpacked project
>
> I'd like to be able to build the cdrtools under mingw.  Is it possible
> for me to just change all references to  "gcc" to "gcc -mno-cygwin" and
> run make (assuming, of course that both the native cygwin and native
> mingw libraries exist)?

FWIW, I recently tried this with perl (building a native-win32 perl
using -mno-cygwin instead of the supported MinGW, Borland C or VC).

The two issues I ran into were:

    The makefile provided only worked with dmake, and I only had a
non-cygwin version of dmake.  dmake calling cygwin's gcc resulted in
different command line quoting/escaping behaviour than when calling
MinGW's gcc.  See thread on the cygwin list: "cygwin programs called
from non-cygwin programs mauling \" in args".

    Preprocessor output used posix pathnames; this broke perl code
finding the errno constants to build the Errno module.  I put in a
cygpath hack, but it would be nice if there were a way to get gcc
-mno-cygwin to use windows pathnames.