This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: How can any grown adult use the term "potty-mouth" without cringing in embarassment?
- From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <sthoenna at efn dot org>
- To: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:26:45 -0800
- Subject: Re: How can any grown adult use the term "potty-mouth" without cringing in embarassment?
- Organization: bs"d
- References: <3D848382FB72E249812901444C6BDB1D022F4FFD@exchange.timesys.com>
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:07:09PM -0500, Robb, Sam wrote:
> Use of the term was intended, I think, to convey the idea
> that leaving the (purportedly) obscene material in the
> fortune data files as plain text didn't really serve any
> useful purpose, unless that purpose was to intentionally
No, the term was introduced in an argument that cygwin shouldn't
provide the material in question at all.
I found it really amusing that so much time and effort was spent
making this argument, but when I asked if the offensive material
should be provided in a separate package, AFAIR no one argued for
That convinced me that those concerned are more interested in
universal censorship than protecting anybody, children or otherwise.