This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Argument list too long
- From: Emil Rojas <emil at lapel dot com>
- To: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:20:09 -0800
- Subject: Argument list too long
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
I am providing grep with a long list of files, e.g. 1200 files with about
I get the following
bash: /bin/grep: Argument list too long
If I reduce the total characters to less then 32K it works fine. This list
is a list of the source files in a development tree retrieved with find.
I just updated to see if this announcement,
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-12/msg00207.html would fix it, but
it does not appear to do so.
I know this is not a problem under linux, and I don't remember it being a
problem in earlier versions of cygwin. Is this a feature or a bug? If it
is a bug, despite reading abut reporting bugs on the cygwin web site I
still am totally uncertain about how one would report this bug. Guidance
here would be appreciated.