This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

Re: Use of cygwin man pages in my manual ?

On Apr  8 01:10, Dave Sweetser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a technical writer and am developing documentation that will be used by
> a number of my customers to develop web services.? This documentation will
> include a number of example web service implementations that use tools like
> Cygwin's OpenSSL tool.? However, I will only be providing documentation to
> my customers. If my customers want to actually use OpenSSL themselves, they
> would need to download the OpenSSL software from cygwin.com and comply with
> the licensing terms.
>
> My question is: Can my manual incorporate documentation that I download from
> cygwin.com, such as the OpenSLL man page?? In performing my due diligence, I
> read the Cygwin Licensing Page but I didn't find any copyright information
> there.? I also looked through the mail archives and likewise didn't find
> this question addressed there.

The Cygwin net distribution consists of many independent OSS packages.
Each of these packages has its own copyright.  You have to look into
the copyrights of every single package you take documentation from to
find out under which conditions you can use it.

Only as far as the *Cygwin* documentation(*) is concerned, the copyright
is stated in the sources of the documentation, in the Cygwin package,
file winsup/doc/legal.sgml:

  Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,
  2008, 2009, 2010 Red Hat, Inc.

  GNUPro, the GNUPro logo, and the Red Hat logo are trademarks of Red
  Hat, Inc.  All other brand and product names are trademarks of their
  respective owners.

  Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
  this documentation provided the copyright notice and this permission
  notice are preserved on all copies.

  Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions
  of this documentation under the conditions for verbatim copying,
  provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under
  the terms of a permission notice identical to this one.

  Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of
  this documentation into another language, under the above conditions
  for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be
  stated in a translation approved by the Free Software
  Foundation.

Corinna

(*) http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/

Red Hat