Re: MSYS mode (continue)

On 29.07.2013 15:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 29 15:00, LRN wrote:
>>>
>>> Very good point.  This would perhaps show us much better where we're
>>> heading here.  From the current input I only see the following required
>>> changes in relation to a stock Cygwin distro:
>>>
>>> - gcc targeting Mingw rather than Cygwin.
>> You already have that, it's called "mingw cross-compiler for cygwin".
>> And that is not what msys users use.
>> I think you've meant something different here, i'm not sure what.
>
> That's exactly what I meant.  Of course we have a mingw cross compiler
> in the Cygwin distro, but as far as the discussion on the mingw-w64 list
> showed, MSYS users apparently prefer the "native" gcc compiler (the one
> called "gcc")
"native" compiler is the one that does not do cross-compiling. That is,
it compiles with $build==$host, produces code for $build, and looks for
headers/libs in $prefix/{include,lib} (unlike cross-compilers, which
produce code for $host!=$build and look in $prefix/$host/{include,lib}).
Whether it's called "gcc.exe" or "i686-w64-mingw32.exe" is not important
(well, it is, but usually you just symlink gcc.exe to i686-w64-mingw32.exe).

> to produce mingw executables (aka "native Windows
> exectables running without a compat layer") to avoid cross compiling
> when creating native Windows executables.  If the native gcc in an MSYS
> install targets MSYS, and if you had to use a cross compiler to create
> native Windows executables (as in Cygwin), there would ne no reason for
> MSYS at all since it would be equivalent to Cygwin.

Yes. In this case i don't see how Cygwin fits in here. Unless you
suddenly decided to become a MinGW toolchain vendor.
/usr/bin/gcc is a cygwin gcc that targets cygwin
/mingw/bin/gcc is MinGW gcc that targets W32.

Anything that resides in /mingw is completely outside of cygwin domain,
which is why i was surprised to hear that you wanted to provide mingw gcc.

I would expect people to get cygwin/msys in one place, and get MinGW in
another. Even mingw-get, while being a source of both msys and mingw
packages, clearly distinguishes betweent he two.

- --
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org