Poor performance on 64-bit Windows x86_64 systems

I'm new to this mailing list but have seen several posts in the mail archives regarding Cygwin's poor performance on 64-bit Windows/x86_64 OSs. The last post I saw was from David Morgan in late January indicating he was working on the problem. Any updates? Any hope of a solution before 1.7.2 is released? I may be able to help track down the problem, test, or code a solution, but I'd like to know what has been discovered so far before I jump in.

Tom.