Re: 1.7.1 release date?

On Dec  4 11:13, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 05:04:00PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >- Copy setup.exe to setup-1.5.exe.
> >
> >  Question: Should we call it setup-9x.exe?
>
> I think setup-legacy makes more sense.

Ok.

> >- Create a win-9x.html page which just contains a short drivel about
> >  Windows 9x not being supported anymore and for sake of the 4 9x users
> >  we still provide an unsupported old release of Cygwin.  Please use
> >  setup-1.5.exe to install that old unsupported version.  Did I mention
> >  that it's unsupported?  Oh and, old documentation is available under
> >  cygwin.com/1.5/{cygwin-api/cygwin-api,cygwin-ug-net/index,faq}.html
>
> Doesn't calling it "win-9x" almost guarantee the "What about Windows ME"
> question?

I'm planing to make this absolutely clear in the pointers to that page,
and the text on this page.

> >- Create a new index.html page which drops the beta release fluff.
> >
> >So that leaves for the next week:
> >
> >- Waiting for your ok.
> >
> >- Upload Cygwin 1.7.1.
> >
> >- Create new "News" article for 1.7.1.
> >
> >- Commit web changes.
> >
> >- Write announcement.
> >
> >- Go into vacation immediatly.
> >
> >Does that sound about right?
>
> I'm not sure how this relates to the current release directory layout.
> I was thinking that release-2 -> release and release -> release-legacy.
> I thought that setup-legacy.exe would install the old stuff and
> setup.exe would, as always, install the current stuff.

We discussed this already multiple times.  The idea was not to rename
the new release directory.  It will be still called release-2 and only
the unionfs is supposed to go away.  Otherwise you would have to rebuild
the old setup version as well.  It's a lot of hassle for no gain.

> Then, I wasn't planning on an immediate vacation but I'm sure my wife
> won't mind if we schedule one.

Hang on, the vacation was an intrinsic part of the plan.  You *have*
to take it.