dealing with unset PATH

POSIX allows an implementation to define its own behavior when PATH is
unset.  I recently spent some time cleaning up several tests in the
coreutils testsuite that failed because they overly restricted PATH.
Right now, any cygwin app just fails to run, because an unset PATH means
windows can't find /bin to locate cygwin1.dll.  It would make a bit more
sense if we had a default fallback path, which included /bin, which we
used if we ever detect PATH being unset or empty.  But that still won't
help apps that do:

env PATH=. foo

expecting to find ./foo and nothing else.  So a default fallback won't
necessarily solve everything.  Thoughts?

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net