Re: Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Quoting Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:

On Oct 15 12:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 15 02:18, Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) wrote:
> really more
> concerned about any others that I most certainly haven't even dreamed
> of. Has
> anyone started enumerating a list of "possible problems" that we may see
> popping up on the list if we allow multiple, disjoint Cygwin
> environments in the
> wild? Should we be trying to think of the potential problem areas so
> that we
> can assure ourselves that we have a good chance of being able to classify
> them and offer responses and solutions (or policies) for them?

And then there's this: How many problems has been reported where there's no "multiple Cygwin" message, and only the cygcheck output revealed that there are multiple Cygwin DLLs in $PATH? With the patch, you're trading situations like that with situations in which no problem occurs just because there's no collision. In my eyes that's a win. Especially with your registry idea added to it.

I have seen zero issues on the MinGW lists about multiple MSYS. And this ability has been existent since the first release of MSYS. And the stop of complaints is why I allowed it.

--
Earnie