Re: Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

On Oct 13 12:00, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 05:37:48PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Oct 13 15:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> >>About the "allow parallel installation" configuration: if needed at all
> >>(as I understand it, the "always allow it" option is still open in the
> >>discussion), why not have it simple and dynamic with the CYGWIN
> >>environment variable?
> >
> >The environment is read much later than the first shared objects are
> >created.  Sure, we could just move reading $CYGWIN to a much earlier
> >point without breaking anything.  At least this would keep the
> >configuration in the same single spot.  But I'm still not convinced
> >that making this behaviour optional has any advantage.
>
> Of course it has *some* advantage.  It allows us to sometimes more
> easily figure out when someone who is reporting problems has a problem
> because they have an older version of cygwin.

What's that "sometimes" exactly?  Right now, we have usually two
scenarios.  One is fixed by calling cygcheck and pointing the user to
"please update your version of Cygwin to the latest".  The other is we
figure out that the user is not talking about the net distro and refuse
to support the non-net distro installation.  The point made on the list
in that case is "use the net distro, luke".