Re: Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Earnie Boyd wrote:

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:55:03AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
Ok, that wouldn't work for a FAT/FAT32 dll.

What kind of "knowledgable" user would be using a FAT-formatted drive? ;-)

Someone with a USB stick, unfortunately.

I just purchased a USB port 1 Terabyte drive preformatted as FAT32. Of course the first thing I did was to convert it but not everyone would check it.
"Of course"? Even a "knowledgable user" might deliberately leave it as FAT to share it on a Windows/Linux dual-boot system.
Cygwin would not be well-advised to assume or even require to reside on NTFS for some specific purpose without need.

About the "allow parallel installation" configuration: if needed at all (as I understand it, the "always allow it" option is still open in the discussion),
why not have it simple and dynamic with the CYGWIN environment variable?

Thomas