Re: Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

On Oct 12 17:32, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> But, anway, the meta issue that really troubles me is that, AFAIK,
> Corinna has always agreed with the
> one-Cygwin-per-system-unless-you-know-what-you're-doing rule.  It was
> complete news to me that she thought this was a good idea when I first
> heard about it.  If I had known she thought it was a good idea I would
> have certainly thought twice about the policy.

I'm sorry you took this for granted.

In my reply(**) to Earnie's mail(*) back in May I already wrote that
implementing this at one point would be an option.  Actually, at that
point it occured to me how the Cygwin-subdir in BaseNamedObjects could
be a neat way to encapsulate different Cygwin installations.  I didn't
discuss this since at that point in time we had certainly other problems
which were higher on the annoyance scale.  A pity I didn't.

The customer request only a few months later was a surprise for me as
well, but it just accelerated the implementation.  If it would have been
up to me, I might have forgotten about it for a longer time.

Corinna

(*) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-05/msg00042.html
(**) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-05/msg00043.html