Re: Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 02:53:36PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Corinna wrote:
>> Here are the questions.
>> - Does anything speak against the idea of the patch?
>> - Does anybody see a problem with the patch?
>> - Anything else?
>
>I think it's great. I have found it SO useful to have both a cygwin-1.5
>and a cygwin-1.7 tree installed (e.g. when I break my 1.7 tree I can fix
>it using familiar cygwin tools from the 1.5 installation, rather than
>cmd.exe or explorer) -- and I've been able to do that because the
>1.5/1.7 versions *mostly* don't interfere.

But, two things to remember:  1) You're an experienced user and 2) We're
talking about two different releases.

Corinna is talking about allowing any 3PP-cygwin-containing package to
calmly coexist with with an official cygwin release.  That means that it
is possible for a naive user to be very confused about which version of
cygwin they're running.

I have more to say about the subject but I don't have the time to say it
right now.