Re: /dev/dsp - dup and open_count

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 06:50:41PM +0200, Gerd Spalink wrote:
> >3. dup is different from a second open. It creates a second instance,
> >but it should use the same buffers and wave device handles.
> >dup() should thus work for both reading and writing. Maybe,
> >a dup_count variable is the way to go forward.
> >
> >Any comments?
>
> Pierre already suggested that I had implemented an archetype class
> which is used by ttys.  I don't think we should be reimplementing
> another mechanism when we already have one available.
>
> Unfortunately, I got tired and probably didn't make things as
> generic as I should have when implementing archetypes but I don't
> think we are far from getting these operational.
>
> cgf

I believe I mentioned that I consider archetypes as they are now a bit too
heavyweight for the problem here.  Unless I'm totally misunderstanding
what archetypes do, they seem to be necessary only if we want to avoid an
extra level of indirection.  Here, a simple reference count should
suffice, and it should reside in the Audio class, IMO.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu