Re: HEADSUP: cygserver now has MSG, SEM and SHM support

vinschen@redhat.com wrote:
Hi,

a headsup which affects a few packages and, of course, the developers
of Cygwin.  Last week I have applied a pretty big patch, which turns
Cygserver upside down.  It now contains basically the FreeBSD kernel
implementation of System V (or, in X/Open / SUSv3 speak) XSI IPC support.

This means, not too far from now, we can drop the cygipc package and
packages like postgresql can switch to using Cygserver.

First, let me say again: many thanks and kudos for your hard work, I'm sure it wasn't easy. However, now that I've had a chance to play around with it, I have some comments and *minor* nits. Please do not interpret them as being ungrateful, I merely wish to provide some constructive feedback.

If this is to replace cygipc, I think it important to be as compatible as possible. This package has been around awhile, even more so before it was distributed as part of the core setup. Thus, many external sources have been modified to accommodate cygipc, in the case that such services were required. In this respect, I think compatibility should trump strict adherence to the SuSv3. Perhaps the right approach to dealing with nonstandard stuff in the headers would be to use _POSIX_C_SOURCE #if's, i.e.:
#if _POSIX_C_SOURCE < 200112L
non-standard code...
#endif
Also, I noticed that there are some structures which have gone missing in the new sys/msg.h. The msgbuf structure, in particular, has not resurfaced, even though it is used by BSD and GNU. IIRC, I believe FreeBSD defines this in a different header. Now I realize standards are *good*, but perhaps we could relax the strictness to provide greater compatibility?

Cheers,
Nicholas