Re: Added some interesting functionality to my cygwin sandbox

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > That's an interesting idea.  It would only work on "posix" mounted
> > > directories, though.
> > >
> > > cgf
> >
> > Here's another idea: the shortcuts already contain the Win32 path to the
> > file.  Instead of redundantly repeating that path in the comment field of
> > the shortcut in place of the POSIX path, we could use an empty comment
> > field to indicate that the Win32 path should be used (does anyone know if
> > it's legal to create a symlink to an empty path on Unix?).
>
> I don't think so. That'd just be a dead symlink.

Why?  I just tried it on Linux, and could not create a symlink to an empty
path.  If we added some logic to link processing code in Cygwin to revert
to the Win32 path if the POSIX path is empty, I don't see any reason why
this woulnd't work...  It won't even be a slowdown for normal symlinks,
since we'd only do this bit of logic if we failed to open the POSIX path.

> But as we're trying to get around a problem with cymlink destinations
> how about having an internal name like the cygdrive prefix? That way we
> could guarentee that it would point to the correct location.
>
> Elfyn

Yeah, that's the previously suggested alternative.  However, I'm wary of
any hard-coded valid paths...  Corinna's idea is basically that, but with
the path that's normally invalid.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/