Re: Cygdaemon - planning

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:36:49PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:28:35PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> >>If it's cool with you, you do the configury hackages.  :-) I'll just
> >>submit patches against it as an when needed.
> >
> >Ok.  I figured that would be your answer.  I've already taken a first
> >stab at it.  It isn't working yet, though.
>
> I've got cygserver building but there are the expected problems with the
> fact that some files serve a dual purpose in the DLL and in the
> executable, with conditional compilation affecting the client/server
> object file personality.
>
> For now, I've added a USE_CYGSERVER conditional which is turned off by
> default.  I've also added a --enable-server option to both the top level
> and the cygwin directory.  From the top level this controls whether
> stuff in the cygserver directory will be built or not.  From the cygwin
> directory it controls whether cygserver support will be built into the
> DLL.  This option is off by default.
>
> My changes to cygwin were not pretty.  I will probably clean them up
> later.  I do like being able to build a DLL which does not rely on the
> server though, so that part will stay.
>
> I was wondering if it would make sense for the DLL to autoimport
> whatever it needs from cygserver.exe rather than build functionality
> into cygwin1.dll?  I think that I would have to release a new version of
> binutils which allows this, since autoimporting from a DLL wasn't
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean "from a .EXE"?

> allowed in binutils into lately, but it seems like a fairly nice way of
> localizing all of the cygserver functionality in cygserver itself.  If
> cygserver wasn't somewhere in the path, cygwin1.dll wouldn't use it.
> Otherwise, it would, when the CYGWIN option was set.

How about splitting cygserver into a .exe and a .dll?  Then you could
auto-import the functionality from the .dll into cygwin1.dll using the
existing binutils functionality...  The .exe could simply be linked
against the .dll in that case.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/