Re: what's left for 1.5.0

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:44:02PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > So CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT actually is send also to the services child
> > processes.
>
> I just tried running sshd directly under the LocalSystem account (using
> the "at $TIME /interactive cmd" trick).  I got the following EventLog
> entry:
>
>     [13956] sshd
>        Type:     INFORMATION
>        Computer: TISHLERJASON
>        Time:     6/11/2003 2:14:27 PM   ID:       0
>        User:     SYSTEM\NT AUTHORITY
>     sshd : PID 2860 : Received signal 15; terminating.
>
> So, it appears that even normal apps receive CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT during
> shutdown.  Sigh...

That's not quite right.  When you're using `at', the application is
started using the "Scheduler" or "Task Scheduler" service.  So the
process is actually a service process.  Well, a child of a service
process but from the CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT point of view that's apparently
the same.

> > So far so good but what about Cygwin applications started from a
> > non-Cygwin service starter like SRVANY?  If anybody is using that one,
> > say,  because an application is not behaving "cygrunsrv aware" (forks
> > and execs for instance), then all these processes don't have a chance
> > to clean up.  What's our answer to this one?  Don't do that?
>
> Sounds good to me!

Any other opinion for discussions sake?

Red Hat, Inc.