Re: So, *should* I go back to distributing the mingw/w32api sourcesin the cygwin source tarball?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:05:14PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

The subject says it all.  If I don't distribute the mingw and w32api
sources, I stand the chance of releasing a version of the sources that
won't build until the next release of mingw or w32api.  I don't want to
have to go through the effort of coordinating with Earnie every time I
release cygwin so the alternative is to go back to including the mingw
and w32api sources in the cygwin source tarball.

I don't like the thought of duplication here but I guess I've finally
grown weary of the bug reports from people who can't build from the
sources available via tarball.

I'm not going to say much about it other than, I empathize with you. Perhaps a symlink to the installed versions would do?

I forgot to mention that I changed the top-level configury so that
w32api is no longer absolutely required.  So, there is no need for
a symlink anymore (I hope).  Or, rather, if there is, I'll fix it.

That's a good thing, IMO.

That doesn't stop the inevitable version skew, though, when something
gets fixed in w32api and cygwin relies on it.

I realized that shortly after sending my first reply.

I suppose a check for __MINGW32_VERSION as found in _mingw.h and __W32API_VERSION as found in w32api.h in the configury might be possible. Then you could give an appropriate warning at configure time.

Earnie.