Re: System-wide mutexes and pthreads

Conrad Scott wrote:

I know all about the "I used it 'cos I could" feeling. It's a shame that the
daemon isn't a pure win32 program, but I get the feeling that it will depend
more on cygwin features as it develops, rather than fewer; for example,
configuration or log files should obey cygwin naming rather than raw win32.

This reminded me of something....

Robert -- once upon a time the idea was bandied about to create a "subcygwin" static library that used only native, non-cygwin calls to directly access the cygwin mount table and sort of duplicate the functionality of (only) these two functions from cygwin.dll:

cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path
cygwin_conv_to_posix_path

[I'm sure this code is already in setup.exe's codebase -- somewhere]. The idea being so that non-cygwin programs -- like setup.exe and perhaps the eventual rebase utility -- could understand cygwin paths, while remaining "non-cygwin". [I'm license agnostic here; if we want non-open-soure progs to interoperate with cygwin, then the above two functions must be re-engineered by someone who hasn't seen cygwin's code; that's a lot of work. Personally, I'm only worried about open-source progs, so IMO the chinese firewall is unnecessary: use cygwin-inspired code, put it in a GPL'ed static library -- this way Red Hat's license is satisfied, and we get a *static* library that enables, for instance:
setup.exe and rebase.exe to understand cygwin paths -- but without relying on cygwin1.dll itself. This is a good and necessary thing for these two specialized programs.
Ditto maybe strace.exe, cygcheck.exe (cygwin programs which do not depend on cygwin1.dll)

Now, OTOH, cygserver *could* use this library for path access, but why? cygserver, by its very nature, will depend on cygwin1.dll -- so why not use it's path conversion routines. No need to rely on setup's subcygwin.a. I don't see why using cygwin1.dll from cygserver is a bad thing...

Anyway, I lost track of what happened with this proposal. Was it decided that this was a bad idea, and that
setup
rebase
strace
cygcheck
should all continue to duplicate cygwin-like path translation independently, or did the idea just fizzle for lack of volunteers?

--Chuck