daemon (was) Re: /cygdrive improvements

[Get raw message]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 06:55:20PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >When do you think you'll have time to tell me how you want the files
> >laid out for the daemon, so we can do that post-1.3.4 merge?
>
> I thought I'd asked for feedback on the daemon.  I don't recall
getting
> any.  Has someone besides you looked at it?

I don't think so. Uhmm, (fill in Roberts memory blank here - may
Jonathan?) was going to , but I've heard nothing back.

Corinna was interested in sockets vs DDE vs named pipes speed
differences.

Last actual discussion of merging was this thread:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2001-q3/msg00151.html

(Which was just Corinna and I).

Anyway, I'm kinda unmotivated to put time into this at this point. The
core code is complete, and AFAICT bugfree. The callback stuff works
after a fashion, but I'd rip that out before a merge. (The callbacks are
needed to fire off events after a process quits, allowing use to do for
cygwin process's what win32 does for handles etc for mingw programs. -
Again, think emulated FIFO's as a primary example of when that is
needed. (And no, socketpairs and named pipes under win32 have the wrong
behaviour to emulate FIFO's)).

I've recently been looking at libsigc++ and it's looks pretty nice, so
I'd like to use that to implement the callbacks - which is of course
another discussion. (libsigc++ is GPL'd)..