Re: CVS branches RFC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
> >maint sounds good - room for other things too. If it's ok, I'll
upload
> >the scripts for folk to have a look at.
>
> Sure.  If you want to create the maint directory now and check things
in,
> that would be ok, too.

Done. The end user scripts are there now. I'll pull proper doco together
within the next day.

For now:
* cleanpatch removes cvs -k fluff from a patch, to allow clean
application to different revisions (if no other conflicting changes have
occured)
* cvsclosebranch will delete a branch created by cvsmkbranch, leaving
behind a patch with the last state. (this is rarely used - only when
_no_ further development will be wanted on that branch - ever).
* cvsmerge grabs the most recent changes from a parent branch and
applies them to the branch of the current working dir.
* cvsmergeinit is used to add a new parent to a branch, or to reparent
when you wish to skip changes that occured in the parent (ie the commit
of a huge diff from the same branch).
* cvsmkbranch creates a new branch, from the current sandbox. So if you
have local changes that are heading from "trivial" to "hmm..." you can
run cvsmkbranch foo from within winsup to create a new branch.
* cvsmkpatch makes a patch from a parent branch to the current branch,
cleaning up the cvs fluff, _and_ without running into trouble because of
conflicting changes in the parent.

At squid dev we have a naming convention of:
For single user experiments - private branches - user_topic. i.e.
"rbcollins_fifos".
For collaborative, or potentially collaborative - shared branches -
topic - ie "cygwin_daemon".

Unless someone suggests something 'better', that's the apporach _I_ will
use :}.

Rob