Re: CVS branches RFC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 7:01 AM
Subject: Re: CVS branches RFC

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:38:49PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> >The thoughts here are derived from my experience with squid
> >development...
> >
> >I find that being able to create numerous small cvs branches for
> >specific development tasks has made a significant difference to the
> >squid development rate. Pretty much _everything_ that is new or
> >non-trivial is developed on a branch first, and then brought into
HEAD.

> This is a fine idea.  Please feel free to develop on branches.

Thank you, I will :]. Would you like me to convert over the doco about
the scripts and how to use them, for cygwin developers to refer to?

Also, I just want to confirm that there is no issue with creating the
tags at the src level (given the number of projects in the src module
I'm a leetle nervous) - so that winsup and newlib are both caught. The
script creates two branchs for each working branch - one by the branch
name (ie cygwin_daemon) and another to track the difference between HEAD
and cygwin_daemon - Z_cygwin_daemon_merge_HEAD. This allows diff
creation, without respect to the current state of HEAD. I.e. HEAD
development does not invalidate the branch state.

Rob