Re: Useful details about the Make SEGVs

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 01:03:18PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>BTW, I rememberd this time to check errno inside gdb, and gdb says
>it's 0.  If execvp() fails (which of course it must have, since the
>code after the execvp() is running, right?) but errno is 0, there's
>definitely something fishy going on.
>
>Any suggestions?

My original supposition about what was causing this was apparently wrong.
An all night make -j2 failed for me too.  Interestingly, though, it's not
in the same place as above.

I think that somehow the stack is getting corrupted.  I don't see any
way that read could be calling exec_command.  There must be something flaky
in vfork but I don't know why it isn't deterministic.  That means, it is
probably signal related.  Sigh.

Another theory that I had was that a vforked "process" was calling "vfork".
That won't work currently, so I modified vfork to call fork if it appears
to be called recursively.  Obviously that had no effect on the problem,
though.