Re: Egor's daemon

Moved to cygwin-developers.

On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 02:31, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 08:20:29PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
> If the client part is linked into the DLL, it should be in the cygwin
> directory, sure.
>
> I think we are not at the point where we include this in the cygwin
> directory, though.  I'd like to discuss how we are going to be interfacing
> the client code with the cygwin DLL, though.

In what sense? Egor's approach, which I'm planning a minor tweak of to
make more object oriented, is to have a cygserver_request function which
is passed a request_buffer and returns a request_buffer. That structure
is opaque to the transport layer, apart from the size (which is variable
per request type).

So calling it looks like
fill in request_buffer buf
cygserver_request(&buf);
look at results in buf.

> I'm not yet comfortable with making it an integral part of the DLL.

Sure. I'm hoping to get a generic enough proof-of-concept that runs on
NT and 95 equally well, that such decisions can actually be looked at.

As such, I'm going to spend 0 time on rearranging the source, and focus
on functionality. If and when this looks good to you, we can discuss the
directory structure. (I don't actually care where it goes as long as a
make in winsup/cygwin results in it being built. Ie subdirs are fine,
but I don't think it should be in a parallel dir to cygwin.

Rob