Re: Quick testfeedback...

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 11:22:50AM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>>  Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:18:25 -0400
>>  From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
>>
>>  And, it was hung where....?
>
>I don't know.  Recall from my previous descriptions that once this bug
>hits us, we can't do anything with the hung processes -- attempts to
>kill them (except for "kill -9"), attach to them, etc. are
>ineffective.  Which means that the only way to get any idea what's
>going on is to run the whole build under strace and hope that when the
>problem finally recurs, the strace output gives a suggestion of what's
>going on (but it didn't suggest anything useful to me).
>
>I've sent long strace logs to this list from when the problem has
>occurred in the past.  See them for additional information.  I have no
>reason to believe that the bug in its current manifestation is any
>different from its previous ones.

Except that you said that you were running 1.1.8 previously and time does
not stand still.  If this is a signal handling bug, then it is possible
that things have changed enough so that you could attach to it and get
some information.

I'm not saying that it is a guarantee but certainly it is worth at least
a try if you are running with a new DLL.