Re: Quick testfeedback...

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 11:04:29PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 12:46:01PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>>>-----Original Message----- From: Christopher Faylor
>>>[mailto:cgf@redhat.com]
>>>
>>>I wasn't saying that there were even errors, necessarily.  I thought
>>>that there might have been some signal generated.  It could be a
>>>harmless signal like SIGUSR1 or SIGCHLD or something.
>>
>>Ok, well I'm going to commit the critical section stuff - Jason
>>apparently got the same segv with and without the patch.  And then
>>we're good to go I think.
>
>I don't think so.  We still have a mysterious signal, probably a SEGV
>to worry about.

Jason, could you see if you can recreate any problems with broadcast
with the latest CVS?

If not, I guess this is a wrap.

(Unless Egor wants to modify some syscalls to protect against bad
pointers)

I think I figured out where the "signal" was coming from.  The main
thread sets the signal_arrived event when the process is about to
exit.  This would be detected by sleep, causing sleep to decide
to call a nonexistent signal handler.

Phew.  This is a long-standing bug that would only be tickled in
multi-threaded applications.

It would be nice to verify that the "broadcast" problems are gone,
though.

cgf

(Who's fully prepared for the fact that Jonathan will now get gdb
running and will provide a stack trace to the "make segvs" problem that
has been haunting us, causing me to delay the release *again* while we
try to fix it)