Re: current dll problem on 95 - developers only issue?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:06:50PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Sun, 2001-09-09 at 16:44, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Chris, if you've got a better place for me to send this - say so :]
>>
>> $ vim
>> C:\CYGWIN\BIN\VIM.EXE: *** 1. unable to allocate heap 0x45E0000,
>> heap_chunk_size 268435456, pid 79449, Win32 error 8.
>>
>> The heap chunk size is exactly 0x10000000 which is strange. I've never
>> done the registry fiddles to set the heap size.
>>
>> Anyway I'm off to dig up that registry entry and see if this is that
>> same issue.. Oh, I'm in win95 if that could be related to the the recent
>> heap work?
>
>Well its definately not my machine ... it doesn't affect 1.3.2. I'm
>starting a binary search on this now...

This was the result of my storing some of the heap values in the cygheap.

I'd tested my changes on Windows 95, but not with vim, unfortunately.

The problem was that my recent changes caused exec'ed processes to try
to allocate heap memory in exactly the same spot as their parent.  This
seemed to work just peachy on Windows NT, of course.  And, it worked for
several non-vim programs on Windows 95.

However, a newly execed program should obviously be able to allocate the
heap whereever it wants.  I've made a few changes to allow that.

I also, in the process, added another gratuitous change to cygwin.  I
changed things so that the heap_chunk_size is not read from the registry
by every single cygwin program.  It's only read once and stored in
shared memory.

That means if you change the chunk size, you'll have to stop all running
cygwin processes.  I think this is a good tradeoff for the increased speed
of not reading the registry.