Re: cygwin slowdown in current cvs version -- need a volunteer

Hi!

Saturday, 08 September, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:

>>>I'd like to see someone running cygwin regression tests on a regular
>>>basis.  Will anyone volunteer?
>>>
>>>This essentially entails running "make check" in the winsup/testsuite
>>>directory and will involve coming up with some kind of method of timing
>>>cygwin.  Maybe just a build of cygwin and/or newlib is adequate.

i think build time of cygwin and/or newlib is not the best way to
compare performance between different versions. Their sources are not
static, but change from time to time and this may give substantial
change in build time even if dll itself is not slower/faster.

i think we can use a testsuite to perform some kind of performance
testing. test which are originated from Linux testing project have a
useful feature -- each test can be repeated several times by passing
an appropriate parameter to the executable. i think it can be used to
measure/compare performance. i'll try to write a script to perform and
log timings of test-runs.

btw, i've just updated testsuite with several new tests from LTP. i'm
still somewhat lagging behind their cvs tree, so expect some new tests
in near future.