Re: cygwin slowdown in current cvs version

Hi!

Saturday, 08 September, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:

>>To resume. I think we should back out Corinna's "reread /etc/passwd"
>>patch for now, wait for some time until dust settles, and release
>>1.3.3. after that i'll try to remake my /dev/dsp patch and see what
>>performance gains it gives (if any).

CF> Have you compared the numbers against 1.3.2 by any chance?

just did it. make in newlib/libm/common/ (after make clean) takes
(approximately):

from 0:16:00 to 0:16:30 with 1.3.2
from 0:14:30 to 0:15:00 with my locally built cygwin1.dll
from 0:32:00 to 0:34:00 with current CVS build
from 0:17:00 to 0:17:30 with "current CVS - /etc/passwd reread" build

the problem is that i cannot easily restore sources which was used to
build that "locally built cygwin1.dll" :(

CF> It occurred to me today that by moving the large zombies buffer into the
CF> heap, I ended up having fork always copy the array.  I don't know which
CF> is better -- having a large dll with a slower load time vs more to copy
CF> on fork.

CF> Have you tried backing out the zombies change, too?

no. i'm sorry, but i have to go home now. it's already 00:15 here in
Moscow, and i'm afraid i can miss the last train. i'll take a look at
this tomorrow.