Re: cygwin slowdown in current cvs version

Hi!

Saturday, 08 September, 2001 egor duda deo@logos-m.ru wrote:

ed>>   did anybody noticed that cygwin runs slower than before? i've just
ed>> tried to perform full rebuild of newlib and received the following
ed>> results:

[...]

ed> Yet, it's only half of the story. cvs build from just before this
ed> change still work slower than the build i've used daily since the
ed> beginning of August. I'll try to dig a little deeper now.

ok. after going back to as far as 1st of June i've started to think
that i should probably take some lessons in, ehr, positive thinking :)

it looks like the rest 10% of slowdown is not actually a "slowdown"
but rather a 10% speedup... I don't remember for sure but it looks
pretty much like i've been running my locally-hacked version of
cygwin1.dll, which replaced statically-allocated /dev/dsp buffer with
malloc()ed one. I'm not sure if such change could account for 10% of
performance, but we're getting too close to the statistical noise
threshold here to know for sure.

To resume. I think we should back out Corinna's "reread /etc/passwd"
patch for now, wait for some time until dust settles, and release
1.3.3. after that i'll try to remake my /dev/dsp patch and see what
performance gains it gives (if any).