Re: cygwin slowdown in current cvs version -- need a volunteer

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 08:40:17PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
>did anybody noticed that cygwin runs slower than before?  i've just
>tried to perform full rebuild of newlib and received the following
>results:
>
>current cvs: 241.13user 397.30system 11:10.49elapsed 95%CPU
>(0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k 0inputs+0outputs
>(0major+0minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>
>cvs from 2001.08.07: 150.72user 126.65system 5:00.59elapsed 92%CPU
>(0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k 0inputs+0outputs
>(0major+0minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>
>Chris if you want to make release now, please delay it yet one more
>time: i think 100% slowdown is not the thing we want to make public.
>i'm doing binary search now to determine which check-in caused this.

Ok.  This is the third time that I've sent 1.3.3 to sources.redhat.com
and killed the announcement message.

There has to be a better way of doing this.

Can someone volunteer to run regressions like this when I announce that
1.3.3 is about to be released?  I did run the test suite this time but
I would like someone else to be doing this.

We have *72* people on this mailing list and just about all of you vowed
that you were going to be contributing something to cygwin when I asked
you why you wanted to join.  I suspect that some of you haven't even
sent email to the list.

I'd like to see someone running cygwin regression tests on a regular
basis.  Will anyone volunteer?

This essentially entails running "make check" in the winsup/testsuite
directory and will involve coming up with some kind of method of timing
cygwin.  Maybe just a build of cygwin and/or newlib is adequate.

I'd prefer not to have to do too much handholding here but maybe Corinna
or Egor would be interested in helping someone figure out the test suite
if it proves to be troublesome.