Re: Figured out how to reproduce vfork/rsync bug!

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:47:56PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> So put this in var.sh:
>
>   export 'INCLUDE=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
>
> Then put this in test.sh:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>
>   mkdir -p /tmp/foo /tmp/bar
>   rsync /tmp/foo/ /tmp/bar/
>
> Then run in a bash window:
>
>   . var.sh
>   ./test.sh
>
> Corinna, could you try this and see what it does?

Nothing special. It just said BOOOOM!

Wow! I have a slightly dfferent setup. On my Cygwin box I'm running
sshd started by cygrunsrv. I've started an ssh session from my Linux
box to the Cygwin box. My login shell is tcsh. I've set the above
environment variable by hand `setenv INCLUDE xxxx...' and then I've
started ./test.sh.

Amazingly effect. It didn't just kill ash and rsync, it ripped off
Cygwin's flesh. Even the sshd daemon and cygrunsrv we're killed by
that. Reproducable.

I still have to examine the stackdump...

Red Hat, Inc.