Re: jik, cwilson, earnie -- show stoppers

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:29:01PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Now, fortunately for all of us, Egor (somehow) seems to have reproduced
>"my" problem on his machine, and supplied a patch that seems to fix it.
> On his machine.  If the bug he is seeing is the same as the one I used
>to see, but don't see any longer.  I dunno if Egor's patch fixes *my*
>bug on *my* machine, since my machine magically fixed itself.  Without
>changing anything.
>
>Bleah.  (I'm a bit frustrated.  Can you tell?)

Yes, I can.  It sounds similar to how I feel when people report problems
that I can't reproduce.  But, I can sympathize even more strongly than
that.

FWIW, I spent a good amount of time a couple of weeks ago trying to
track down a very strange rsh memory corruption problem.  The problem
went away when run under strace, of course, and it usually went away
when running under the debugger.

Eventually, it just went away completely, just like your problem.  It
was quite frustrating.  I had a serious bug and then I didn't.  The
version of the DLL that manifested the error just started working and
I could never get it to fail again.

So, I know exactly how you feel.