Re: Star (second try)

>From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>

>> The version of star that supports POSIX.1-200x ext headers is

>I'm not sure if I understand you right.

>Since Cygwin doesn't deal with the underlying DOS file flags and
>NTFS ACL implementation on the API level, that's a non-issue for
>Cygwin.  What you're talking about sounds as if you want to
>support a native Windows implementation but that's not what
>we're responsible for.

OK, if NTFS ACLs are that different from POSIX ACLs then it probably
won't make sense to use that to backup a FS. As star supports the
RMT protocol nicely even on Cygwin backups using star may make sense.
You could do a lot on Win9x if there was a function to get/set DOS file flags
by using POSIX filenames. As I did not install cygwin sources for compilation,
it would probably not make sense if I send a (untested) patch for that.

>Our acl related calls are currently only Solaris compatible.  The
>header is cygwin/acl.h, the source code is mainly in sec_acl.cc.

I'll have a lookt at it. A Solaris ACL implementation for star will be
available soon (when the Linux guys start to enhance star for Linux.

>If you find bugs in the implementation, feel free to send patches
>or drop a note (best with example code).  If you want to have POSIX
>compatible calls as soon as possible, the `send patches' suggestion
>applies, too.  I'm planning to extend the calls to become POSIX
>compatible at a later time anyway, not in 1.3.3 though.

Let's just wait for this and see what happend with the Linux code.
The persons involved with ACLs on Linux like to make it POSIX compliant.
Maybe some of the code can be reused.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling