Re: Star (second try)

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:07:09PM +0200, schilling@fokus.gmd.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that my first mail was not understood as intended...
>
> For two weeks, star now supports POSIX.1-200x extended TAR
> headers. It could (and should) be easily enhanced to
> support archiving DOS file flags, ACL's and even more. The
> Linux ACL project already noticed this and stopped thinging
> about GNU tar. They soon will start to add ACL
> support into star. It may make sense to coordinate the
> ACL efforts for Cygwin, Linux & Solaris for star.
>
> The version of star that supports POSIX.1-200x ext headers is

I'm not sure if I understand you right.

Since Cygwin doesn't deal with the underlying DOS file flags and
NTFS ACL implementation on the API level, that's a non-issue for
Cygwin.  What you're talking about sounds as if you want to
support a native Windows implementation but that's not what
we're responsible for.

Our acl related calls are currently only Solaris compatible.  The
header is cygwin/acl.h, the source code is mainly in sec_acl.cc.

If you find bugs in the implementation, feel free to send patches
or drop a note (best with example code).  If you want to have POSIX
compatible calls as soon as possible, the `send patches' suggestion
applies, too.  I'm planning to extend the calls to become POSIX
compatible at a later time anyway, not in 1.3.3 though.

Red Hat, Inc.