Re: cygwin build SEGV

[Note that I've renamed the subject]
On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 11:16:00PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:21:35PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>>Okay, after making a little batch file and pointing error_start at that,
>>>I can get gdb -nw to start up with state information.
>>>
>>>First, I get many many many "Program received signal SIGSEGV,
>>>Segmentation fault." messages.  Eventually, I just hit q<RET> to get
>>>past those messages.
>>>

>>Yes, this is standard.  It was the best way I could find to have gdb
>>point at useful info when it attaches to the target.  Hitting 'q' is
>>the correct response.
>

>Well, at least I can make a few correct decisions...when they're
>obvious. :-)

Actually, I don't think that was really obvious.  I can't believe that
you are the first person that I can recall who's asked about this,
actually.  I expected a couple percentage point increase in
cygwin@cygwin email when I implemented it.

At least this way you're stopped at the offending line, though, which wasn't
the case before.

>>>...child thread 544.0x2dc
>>>

>>>#0  0x00410732 in exec_command (argv=0x5, envp=0xa01ca70)
>>>  at /usr/src/make/src/job.c:2317
>>>#1  0x61081e8a in read () at
>>>/usr/src/cygwin/cygwin/winsup/cygwin/uinfo.cc:284
>>>#2  0x0040a5cb in func_shell (o=0xa01cd98 "", argv=0x22d52c,
>>>

>>I don't understand this.  This backtrace is saying that read() is in
>>uinfo.cc at line 284.  That's clearly incorrect.  It sounds like the
>>symbol table in cygwin1.dll is screwed up.
>

>Oh good.  When I looked at this bt, I couldn't make any sense of it; but
>I just assumed I was stupid.  I'm glad *that's* not the explanation.
>(my self-assessment may still be true, but at least this backtrace isn't
>proof. :-> )

Nope.  It looks like a signal screw up (as I said in private email).  I
don't understand it, of course.

>>Something is calling exec_command with an argv of 5, though.
>>That's what is causing this problem.
>>
>>Judging by the stack trace, it sounds like the make received a signal and
>>then maybe something scribbled on the stack.
>>
>>Either that or gdb is confused.
>>
>>I can't think of any way to debug this further right now.
>

>I'm sorry to contribute to your depression.  (c.f. earlier message
>"discouraged")

Yeah, right.  I know you secretly enjoy this.  I can just imagine you
sitting at your computer chortling about finding another bug:

"Just one more strange bug and I'll drive him over the edge."

You and Earnie are double teaming me.

This is actually a pretty stressful time, job wise, though,
unfortunately.