Re: cygwin 1.3.3 announcment -- extra words solicited

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 12:47:02PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>egor duda wrote:
>

>>CW> Well, I don't think I can really figure out what the problem is unless
>>I CW> know what program make is trying to execute in the exec_command()
>>CW> function -- but that data doesn't show up in the stackdump.  OTOH, I
>>CW> can't just step through the entire build waiting for the crash -- it
>>CW> does not appear deterministic.
>>
>>CW> Should I build dumper.exe and try the JIT functionality?  would that
>>help?
>>
>>it would be enough (and probably easier) to use JIT debugging with
>>gdb. adding 'error_start=x:\path\to\gdb\gdb.exe' to CYGWIN environment
>>variable should do.
>

>Okay, I did this -- but I got this error (instead of the 'expected' one
>I reported earlier):
>
>make[2]: Leaving directory
>`/usr/src/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cinstall'
>      0 [main] make 1640 handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state
>(probably
>corrupted stack)
>Signal 11
>make[1]: *** [subauth] Error 139
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup'
>make: *** [all-target-winsup] Error 2
>
>And when gdb popped up, it had no state data from the crashed process.
>(e.g. it was as if I'd merely typed "gdb make" ).  What should I do next?

Make sure you do a:
thread 1
bt

If that still doesn't show anything, then:

p /x $esp
x/40x $esp

Then we can laboriously inspect the stack to see if something got clobbered.

Btw, Chuck, is there some reason why you are just subscribed to the digest
version?  I keep forgetting to Cc you.